Pictured: 2022 Pennsylvania Make It With Wool winners, Natalie Sensenig, Denver, and Madison Copenhaver, Lebanon, competed and modeled at the national contest which was held in Fort Worth, Texas in January 2023. Natalie was 1st Runner-up in the Senior Division and Madison was named to the top ten Honor Group.
WHO: Any youth or adult who sews, knits, or crochets garments with wool or other animal fibers
- Preteens, age 8 – 12
- Juniors, age 13 – 16
- Seniors, age 17 – 24
- Adults, age 25 and older
- Made for others—both model and contestant may be any age
(Ages are as of January 1, 2023)
Anyone regardless of race, creed, or sex who meets age and other guidelines may participate.
WHAT: The Pennsylvania Make It With Wool contest. Expert judges will handle the garments and meet with the contestants. Judging is based on the following criteria:
- Appropriate to contestant’s lifestyle.
- Fit and overall appearance.
- Coordination of fabric/yarn with garment style and design.
- Contestant’s presentation.
- Construction quality.
- Creativity in design and use of wool.
- Conveys/promotes the beauty, comfort, and versatility of wool.
WHEN: Saturday, October 7
Registration is due no later than September 5.
WHERE: PA Preferred Banquet Hall at the Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg
WHY: The goals of the contest are:
- To promote the beauty and versatility of wool fabrics and yarns.
- To encourage personal creativity in sewing, knitting, crocheting, spinning, and weaving with wool fabrics and yarns.
- To recognize creative skills.
- To develop life skills including:
- being responsible for one’s self
- being a good sport
- accepting judges’ decisions
- learning about and appreciating diversity
HOW: The Pennsylvania Sheep and Wool Growers Association and other generous donors provide the funding for prizes for the winners in each category.
Blue Mountain Farm and Fiber Mill
Ben and Mary Bow
Tom and Leanne Calvert
Fashion Sewing Supply
Gutermann Consumer Division
Maureen Light and family
L. George Wherry
American Sheep Industry
Philadelphia Chapter of the American Sewing Guild
Pennsylvania Sheep and Wool Growers Association
- The Junior Winner (age 13-16) and the Senior Winner (age 17-24) will be eligible to compete at the National Make It With Wool contest to be held in Denver, Colorado in January 2024.
- All fabrics or yarns used in the body of the garment must be 60% or more animal fiber. (Interfacings, linings, and trims do not need to be wool.)
- There is a $17 state/national registration fee, plus additional testing fee per fabric/yarn used.
- All who register receive a piece of wool yardage. Other prizes are also awarded.
- A national website can provide more information: makeitwithwool.com.
TO REQUEST THE PA MIWW REGISTRATION FORM AND OTHER INFORMATION: Contact Linda Siegel, State Director. 717-274-1197 or email@example.com.