Bring the whole family to the table with this incredible 5 cheese macaroni casserole. It’s perfect for parties, banquets and family reunions.
Mario & Luigi's 5 Cheese Macaroni Casserole
Servings: 10 People
- 1 Box Cavatappi Pasta 16oz
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 3 Tbsp Butter for the topping
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Dry Mustard
- 1 1/2-2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2-1 Tsp White Pepper
- 5 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Asiago Cheese Shredded
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 2 Cups Fontina Cheese Shredded
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray. Cook the cavatappi pasta in boiling salted water per the instructions on the box, until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, grate the asiago, Italian sharp, fontina and mozzarella cheeses, into a medium size mixing bowl. Toss together until they are evenly combined.
- In a medium size stovetop pot, melt 1/2 cup butter and add the flour stirring to form a roux. Add the salt, pepper, dry mustard and white pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly, The roux tends to stay around the edge of the pot, so be certain to incorporate all of the roux so your sauce will thicken.
- Add the milk gradually. After the mixture comes to a boil test the thickness. [Add more milk 1/2 cup at a time only if the sauce needs to more thinning.]
- After all of the milk has been added, gently bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and simmer on low for 4-5 minutes until the flour has completely cooked and the sauce is creamy and thick.
- Add 1/3 of the grated cheese mixture into the sauce as well as 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Drain the pasta well, then add it to the sauce. If the pot isn't big enough, pour everything into a large mixing bowl to mix.
- Stir until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Pour 1/2 of the pasta into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the grated cheese mixture evenly over the first layer.
- Pour the rest of the pasta into the dish and sprinkle with the final 1/3 of cheese.
- For the topping mix with 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and three tablespoons of melted butter with 1 cup of Italian Bread Crumbs.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan breadcrumbs on top and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe works well with almost any combination of cheeses.