PSUMA baseball: Another pair of wins for Lions
Mont Alto picked up another pair of wins over PSU New Kensington on Saturday. The Nittany Lions led from start to finish in the 6-2 win and secured the sweep with the 6-1 win in five innings.
Penn State Mont Alto 6, Penn State New Kensington 2 (F)
- Darian Mort (Fairfield, Pa. / Fairfield Area) struck out six batters, while scattering seven hits to improve to 3-0.
- The Mont Alto offence fired right up in the bottom of the first frame with a pair of RBI at-bats from both Hayden Kissel (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) and Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring). PSUMA made it 3-0 an inning later when Alberto Fabian (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic / KCAPA) smashed a homer over the left field fence.
- In the bottom of the third inning, Brady Bigler (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) flexed his muscles with his first career homer, which was a two-run effort that put up Mont Alto 5-0.
- Mario Gomez helped his own cause for New Kensington with an RBI single in the top of the fourth but in the bottom half of the inning the run was equalized when Hayden Kissel (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) drove in Jonathon Lentvorsky (Shermans Dale, Pa. / West Perry) with a sacrifice fly.
Penn State Mont Alto 6, Penn State New Kensington 1 (F-5)
- Luke Michaels (Newville, Pa. / Biglerville) produced another quality start only allowing one hit, while striking out four. Collin Beach (Lititz, Pa. / Warwick) tossed two innings of scoreless ball out of the bullpen. He went 1-for-2 at the plate including a deep double to center field and an RBI in the third inning.
- Mont Alto led from start to finish racking up six hits and making the most of the two New Kensington fielding errors. They made the most of them with a four run bottom of the third inning that gave Mont Alto the 6-0 lead.
- Tyler Moreland (Spring Mills, W.Va. / Spring Mills) drove in the first run of the game and finished with a pair of RBIs.
- Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) showed off his wheels when he roped a triple in the third inning.
Penn State Mont Alto (15-2, 13-2 PSUAC) return to action on Tuesday for a nine-inning road game against Penn State Fayette at 4 p.m.