PSUMA Nittany Lions: Baseball team has strong start
The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team continued its strong start to the 2021 season, picking up a pair of away victories over Penn State York on Wednesday. The Nittany Lions racked up nine hits in the 11-4 win and in the nightcap they held on winning by a 4-1 score.
Penn State Mont Alto 11, Penn State York 4 (F)
- Mont Alto came out swinging in the first inning with Jared Pine (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) utilizing his speed on the basepaths to score while Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) slashed an RBI double to drive in Hayden Kissel (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area).
- PSUMA had a 3-0 lead going into the third inning where they scored three more runs including a line drive single off the bat of Owen McCleaf (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area).
- Darian Mort (Fairfield, Pa. / Fairfield Area) picked up his first collegiate victory on the mound cruising through 4.1 innings of work while scattering seven hits. He pitched himself out of a jam in the bottom of the third inning only allowing two opponents to score. Ethan Slusser (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) and Kaden Robinson (New Bloomfield, Pa. / West Perry) had perfect appearances out of the bullpen to preserve the Mont Alto victory.
- Freshman outfielder Brady Bigler (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) put together his best collegiate performance to date going 2-for-3 with a double and three RBI’s. Fellow James Buchanan alum Jared Pine (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) finished 2-for-4 including a triple and an RBI in the sixth inning. He already leads the PSUAC in stolen bases with three.
Penn State Mont Alto 4, Penn State York 1 (F)
- The Mont Alto pitching staff combined to only allow five hits with Luke Michaels (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) throwing the first three innings, Zach Garlin (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) picked up the win out of the bullpen with three strikeouts in his two innings of work.
- PSUMA once again scored in the top of the first inning, but York responded with a sacrifice fly in the bottom half of the inning by Kalen Guyer. Mont Alto clawed another run across the plate in the second frame with Dan Brundage (Milroy, Pa. / Oxford Area) sending a sacrifice fly to center field.
- The Nittany Lions made it 3-1 with a Collin Beech (Lititz, Pa. / Warwick) RBI single and Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) padded the lead in the final inning of play with an RBI double.
Penn State Mont Alto returns to action on Saturday, March 20 with its first nine inning contest of the season against PSU New Kensington. First pitch is slated for 2 p.m.