Looking Back: Franklin County’s history July 21st
Take a look back at Franklin County’s history through news and photos that appeared in local newspapers 25, 50, and 100 years ago on July 21st
25 Years Ago
July 21, 1921 – Wednesday
“Court says boy may attend Sunday baseball
The right of a 4-year-old boy to attend Sunday baseball games despite his mother’s objection has been upheld by Judge Backs.
The judge has refused an application of Mrs. Grace Lines for an order prohibiting her husband, John A. Lines, from taking their son for Sunday walks because she said she had discovered Lines took the boy to ball games.
Mrs. Lines, who is suing for separate maintenance, has custody of the boy under a court’s order but the father is permitted to have him Sunday afternoons.
50 Years Ago
Julyy 21, 1971 – Tuesday
“Greencastle Pupils Have O-Site Environmental Studies”
Tayamentasachta is the name of a spring located on a sixty acre site purchased by the district in 1966 which has been developed as an environmental studies center. The innovative source for the program, under the coordination of Fred C. Kaley, was the ever-increasing concern of the public toward their environment. It is the hope of the school board that through this program, students will be taught the value of nature and the harmful effects of its misuse by pollution, littering, and wastefulness.
Agricultural development of the Winger farm now owned by the school district, was in its height under the ownership of Jacob P. Stover and his heirs. Mr. Stover purchased the site of his home from James Mc Lanahan near Greencastle in the early 1800’s and called his farm Spring Lawn. The barn burned in July 1875 but was rebuilt, thus leaving the farm later purchased by Col. B. F. Winger very similar to that originally owned by Stover and his heirs.
A map dated 1853 shows that the Spring known today as Taymentasachta was known as Poplar Spring when owned by the Stover family. Historical records show that the name Tayamentasachta or “living waters” was that of a chief of a tribe of Indians, who frequently held their councils on the land surrounding the spring. It is supposed that the name was changed by the Winger family.
Under the direction of J. Mitchell Stover, the youngest son of Jacob P., a fruit tree nursery was planted in the field northeast of the present farm buildings. The nursery was the first of its kind in the township. Also under his direction, a porch on the south and east sides of the farm house was erected.
A picture taken while the farm was still occupied by the Wingers showed a large stone spring house at the northern end of the spring. Succeeding tenant farmers cared little about the spring except as a source of water and so, time and the seasons brought the gradual crumbling of the spring house and the displacement of the limestones which served as walls along the pond.
The school district began purchasing tracts of the Winger farm in 1958 when approximately forty acres were acquired for the building of the present high school. In 1959, land originally owned by the Wingers was bought from Cletus L. Zimmerman to provide a site for the junior high school building. In 1966 the remainder of the farm land west of Route 81 including the farm buildings and the spring was purchased for future school expansion. Thus, over a period of eight years approximately 110 acres of the farm originally owned by the Stover family became the property of the school district.
Since the 1966 purchase, the farm has been developed under the direction of Fred C. Kaley as an outdoor education center. A nursery plot for landscape shrubbery was laid out in 1968 by Gerald Reichard, then instructor of vocational agriculture, and his class. This department planted 1,500 white pine trees around the perimeter of the eastern-most field of the farm. In 1969, the wooded area was developed as a game sanctuary and tree identification plot.
Since the 1966 purchase, the pond area has been revitalized under Mr. Kaley s direction, of in
Faculty members and students have been engaged in clearing the site of trash and over growth of trees and bushes. During the fall of 1969, the pond was dredged, removing approximately 50 tons of muck, mud, and trash which had accumulated over a hundred year period. The spring house which had fallen away was dismantled.
Holding pens for the purpose of propagating trout were constructed during the 1969-70 school term by Kaley and Eldon M. Goldsmith. These pens are 45 feet long and eight feet wide. The entire pond has a capacity for 700 trout. During the school year, students are involved with water sampling, periodic checks on trout conditions, and test feedings. The trout raised by the students each year are released in local streams.
In October and November of 1969, the tenant house was remodeled by Kaley, Coldsmith, and teacher volunteers. The occupants of this house are re sponsible for maintaining the lawn and generally serve as caretakers for the area around the pond.
In addition to the students and faculty, various groups have participated in the site development so far. The Boy Scouts have been active in providing bird houses and feeders and seeing that they were installed on the premises. The local Sportsman Association released different animals and birds at the center for wildlife preservation and study. The Pennsylvania Fish Commission is working cooperatively with the trout propagation project and their distribution in local streams. The Soil and Water Conservation Service of Franklin County advised and assisted in the pond restoration. The Pennsylvania Game Commission provided seedlings for wildlife cover and feed.
To date the following progress has been achieved at the studies center. One thousand timber type walnut trees have been planted for a timber management project; two acres of the farmland have been used for elementary class experimental gardensstudies, center, education, court, custody, ; five acres of the land have been used to demonstrate to the students strip farming and plant experimentation; an area has been cleared for a small group picnic area; trails have been made in the wooded area for tree identification; and the barn has been repaired to prevent further deterioration.
Although the Winger farm will be used in future years for additional school building sites, present plans call for the continued development of a portion of the land and buildings in keeping with the recommendations of the Soil Conservation District which, through grants, has helped to finance many of the recent projects.
What is Tayamentasaehta? It is challenging, exciting, and rewarding. More than that though, Tayamentasaehta s hope for the future that others will follow this school’s example in the treatment of nature’s facilities.
100 Years Ago
July 21, 1996 – Sunday
Local apple crop down by 50% this year
“Migrants face hard times”
Franklin County’s migrant workers won’t make good money like they usually do.
The fall apple crop, lifeblood for most orchardists in Franklin County, is expected to be about 50% lower this year, and many migrant farmworkers won’t find jobs.