Looking Back: Franklin County’s history June 16th
Take a look back at Franklin County’s history through news and photos that appeared in local newspapers 25, 50, and 100 years ago on June 16th.
25 Years Ago
June 16, 1996 – Sunday
“Robin builds a motor home”
David Rotz, 858 Anthony Highway, peers at the robin’s nest built on top of the right front tire of his bright red Ford Thunderbird. The bird finished its nest, a weekend job, Sunday. The Robes have decided not to move the family car until the birds no longer need this home.
50 Years Ago
June 16, 1971 – Wednesday
“40th County Firemen’s Parade”
Winners in the 40th annual convention parade of the Franklin-Fulton County Fireman’s Association Saturday have been announced.
Because there was no competing entry in the category of best appearing musical organization, it was the unanimous recommendation of the judges that the host band, the Greencastle-Antrim High School Band, be awarded $100.
First place winner for best appearing uniformed company was Franklin Fire Co., Chambersburg; second place, Good Will Fire Co., Chambersburg, and third place, Walkersville Volunteer Fire Co., Walkersville.
Best appearing auxiliary was the Pleasant Hall Community Fire Co. Placing second was the Mont Alto Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary. The company traveling the most distance was the East Waterford Community Fire Co., a distance of 56 miles.
Placing first in the best appearing majorette group was Carolyn’s Challengers, Greencastle and Hagerstown. Second place went to Wayne-Ettes Majorette Corps, Waynesboro, and honorable mention to Dianne’s Deckerettes, Waynesboro.
The oldest piece of fire equipment was entered by the Vigilant Hose Co., Shippensburg, a reel from 1846. The best appearing fire apparatus, by association members, was shown by Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren Townships Fire Co. In second place was the Waynesboro ATH and L Fire Department.
The best appearing fire apparatus, submitted by non-association members, was from Shepherdstown Fire Department. Second place was taken by Halfway Fire Department, Hagerstown.
Best appearing ambulance, submitted by association members, was the McConnellsburg ambulance, and second place, Mercersburg ambulance. The best appearing ambulance, submitted by non-association members, was the Community Rescue Service.
A pumping contest was held on the carnival grounds, South Washington Street. First place winner was the Newburg-Hopewell Fire Co., with time, one minute, 29.7 seconds. Second place winner was West End Fire and Rescue Co., Shippensburg, with time of one minute, 34.7 seconds. Third place was the Pleasant Hall Fire Co., with time of one minute, 57 seconds.
100 Years Ago
June 16, 1921- Thursday
“Local Cavalry Troop E; Officers assigned”
Thlrty-five appointments In the Pennsylvania National Guard were announced at Harrisburg today. The list Includes a number which are announced as of June 11 last, and others announced as of June 1.
Among those of June 1 are the officers for Troop E., 104th Cavalry, located In Chambersburg, formerly Co. C, 8th Infantry. They are; Roy O. Dunkle, provisional captain; Basil H. Minnich, first lieutenant; Henry C. Row. provisional second lieutenant.
Colonel Edw. J. Stackpolo, Jr is made colonel of the 104th cavalry.