Freshman Spotlight on Luke Michaels: This Q&A will serve as a get to know you series for our Penn State Mont Alto spring freshman student-athletes. Michaels is a graduate of Big Springs High School, Newville.
Why did you choose to attend Mont Alto?
- I chose Mont Alto because of the proximity to my hometown and they had the major I wanted to study.
If you could change one thing from your first year, what would it be and why?
- The only thing I would change is being able to play the whole season.
What is your major and why?
- My major is Forestry, I chose forestry because I grew up in the woods and couldn’t imagine myself in any other workplace environment.
What has been your favorite course at Mont Alto and why?
- My English 15 class is probably my favorite, Professor Royer knows how to keep things lively and enaging.
What is your favorite inspirational quote and who said it?
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take,” – Wayne Gretzky. I like this saying because a lot of people just give up because things are out of their comfort zone.
What is the hardest part of your sport?
- Controlling your mindset. Baseball is as much of a mental game as it is physical.
Name one obstacle or form of adversity you have had to overcome.
- I struggled with my nerves every time I stepped on the mound, but that fixes with experience. Sadly our season got canceled before we could all settle in.
What advice do you have for a prospective Mont Alto student-athlete?
- Just play how you know how to and get ready for a very fun ride!
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto