Freshman Spotlight: This Q&A will serve as a get to know you series for our Penn State Mont Alto spring freshman student-athletes.
Why did you choose to attend Mont Alto?
- I chose Mont Alto because of their nursing program. I was also given the opportunity to play collegiate baseball which helped with my decision.
If you could change one thing from your first year, what would it be and why?
I wish I would have participated in more campus events. It’s a good way to get to know more people and make connections. I’ve learned that the campus events are a big part of enjoying your college experience.
What is your major and why?
- My major is Nursing. I chose nursing because most of family is in the healthcare field. It’s a career I’ve been drawn to over the last several years. With that being said, I also love to help and care for those who are in need.
What has been your favorite course at Mont Alto and why?
- My favorite course at Mont Alto has been Microbiology. Professor Hipkiss is an amazing teacher! He made the class enjoyable by lecturing with real life scenarios. It was interesting learning about different strains of viruses, bacteria, and fungi. These are just a few examples but there are many more topics that were intriguing.
What is your favorite inspirational quote and who said it?
- “If what you did yesterday still seems big today, then you haven’t done enough today.” – Aaron Judge
What is the hardest part of your sport?
- The hardest part is the mental aspect. You have to keep thinking ahead of the game and always remain focused. It only takes one play or pitch to change the outcome of the entire game.
Name one obstacle or form of adversity you have had to overcome.
- One of my biggest obstacles I had to overcome this semester was achieving a 3.5 GPA needed to get into the nursing program. Managing school work while playing baseball was one of the most difficult things I’ve had to do. I had to be disciplined and manage my time wisely so I could succeed.
What advice do you have for a prospective Mont Alto student-athlete?
- The best advice that I could tell a prospective student looking into Mont Alto is to work hard every single day. Dedicate yourself in the classroom, weight room and on the field. It will make good things happen and your teachers and coaches will recognize this!
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto