The Franklin County Friends of Legal Services‘s 36th Annual Book Sale opened numerous book donation sites around the county last month. The volunteer organization is collecting items for its 36th Annual Book Sale.
Donations can be dropped off at an collection center through April 13. The group solicits not only books, used and new, hardback and paperback, but also artwork, CDs (including audio books), DVDs, sheet music, puzzles, and board games. Encyclopedias, textbooks, cassettes and VHS tapes (except Disney movies) are not accepted.
Volunteers handle donations of rare books and collector’s items separately, pricing and displaying them separately at the sale. The group will provide receipts for tax purposes on request.
To make special arrangements to donate a large quantity of books, call Franklin County Legal Services at (717) 262-2326 or email [email protected]
The sale takes place May 29 to May 31, but the location moves this year from the Wilson College campus to the Chambersburg Mall.
Carolyn Carter, a volunteer with the group, expects this year’s sale to be bigger and better than ever.
Change of Venue for the Sale
“(The Mall) is easy to reach, plenty of parking will be available and the location within the Mall will be clearly marked,” she said. “The book sale is a wonderful community event, and people save up their used books all year to donate for the sale.”
She expects tens of thousands of books to be donated and sold at bargain prices.
Over the years the sale has grown in size to the point where the annual book drive and sale features around 60,000 to 70,000 items.
The sale will run from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. May 29, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. May 30, and from noon-4 p.m. May 31.
Proceeds support the provision of civil legal services for low-income individuals in the community. Orrstown Bank is a sponsor of the sale, having provided generous financial support for it.
- Chambersburg: Colony House Furniture, 4231 Philadelphia Avenue; LA Cameras, 1019 Wayne Avenue; Sunny Way Foods, 40 Warm Spring Road; United Way of Franklin County, 182 S. Second Street; ACNB Bank, 850 Norland Avenue; Wolf’s Furniture Store, 480 Gateway Avenue
- Fayetteville: Pound’s Automotive Service, 2083 Lincoln Way East
- Gettysburg: ACNB Bank, Lincoln Square Office
- Greencastle: BB&T Bank, 40 Center Square
- Mercersburg: BB&T Bank, 316 N. Main Street and M&T Bank, 10 N. Main Street (on the square)
- Mont Alto: F&M Trust, 8 Park Street
- Orrstown: Orrstown Bank, 3580 Orrstown Road
- Shippensburg: Shippensburg University, Ezra Lehman Library and Weis Markets, 1075 W. King Street
- St. Thomas: Modnur Pharmacy, 4495 Lincoln Way West
- Waynesboro: Kulla, Barkdoll & Stewart, 9 East Main Street