Hit and run investigation continues

An investigation into a hit and run that seriously injured a Waynesboro man January 23 continues as the victim undergoes yet another surgery at the University of Maryland Trauma Center this weekend.

Police have located the driver who left the scene, a source close to the case today. It appears charges have not yet been filed, however. Police protocol on the release of names varies by agencies; but usually such information is withheld until charges are filed or a warrant is issued for the individual involved.

RELATED: Hit and run: Waynesboro man seriously injured

A spokesperson at the Chambersburg Pennsylvania State Police barracks said today she did not believe charges had been filed yet. A message for the investigating trooper was not returned as of Saturday evening.

Paid advertisement
hit and run
David Stotler

David Stotler, 58, of Waynesboro, was walking along Tomstown Road in Quincy Township the evening of Jan. 23 when he was struck by a a gray 2009-2013 GMC truck. The driver fled without stopping to render aid, according to police.

A passerby who saw Stotler laying on the ground behind a guardrail in the 9600 block of Tomstown Road notified police at about 7:23 p.m. after stopping to help.

Severe injuries, multiple surgeries

Stotler was airlifted to the University of Maryland with serious injuries. He had broken bones and serious internal injuries that have required five surgeries so far, according to his daughter, Angie Slocum. Another surgery is expected to take place Sunday.

Slocum said her father’s right arm was so severely fractured the doctors had to put it back together with pins and screws. He also had severe internal injuries with extreme internal swelling as a result of the trauma.

He took a turn for the worse last Saturday when he began having trouble breathing; and had to be intubated and put on a ventilator.

Even if the surgery can take place Sunday, and is successful, Stotler faces a long recovery, his daughter said. Before the setback a week ago, his family was told he would need extensive physical therapy when he was well enough to be released from the hospital.

That would probably have to take place in a sub-acute nursing home, Solcum said. They were given that information before last weekends setback.

“Who knows what the future holds now,” she said.

She is extremely grateful to the person who did stop to help her dad, she said.

“I would love to thank her for saving my Dad’s life,” she said.

Paid advertisement
Leave a Reply