On March 16, 2023, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a warning about two carbon monoxide detectors sold on Amazon. The GLBSUNION and Cuzmak detectors with a digital display were found to be faulty and could fail to alert people to hazardous levels of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, and the commission warned that more than 200 people in the United States die every year from accidental, non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products.
Carbon monoxide sensitivity tests performed on both detectors found that they failed to alert when exposed to certain levels of carbon monoxide, violating safety standards. Model No. AJ-938 was sold under the Amazon ASIN B093Y1KK5Q and B093Y637CM, and Model No. CD01 was sold under the Amazon ASIN B07MPVK6HG and B07K44HLCV. The CO detectors were sold on Amazon for between $16 and $40.
The safety commission urged consumers not to purchase or sell these CO detectors. They should stop using them and dispose of them immediately. It is crucial to install new, working detectors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
The warning from the safety commission serves as a reminder to consumers to be vigilant when purchasing products online. It is essential to check the safety standards and read reviews before making any purchases. Safety should always be a top priority.