Magic will be in the air soon as Mainstreet Waynesboro hosts its sixth annual Waynesboro Wizarding Weekend August 5th and 6th.The event has attracted thousands of people every year since its inception, and includes everything from movies and books to food and magical creatures.
The festival celebrates the wonder and magic of the Harry Potter books and movies, and was created
by Mainstreet Waynesboro as a way to bring more people downtown. “The books and movies are intergenerational, and are beloved by people of all ages,” said Bill Kohler, director of Economic Development for Mainstreet since 2016. “We thought it was a great way to tie together magic, books, movies, food, tea, and fun. It’s been a great success story all around.”
The weekend opens Friday with events in downtown stores and restaurants, including TranquilaTEA
Tea Room, 1884 Market House and Rough Edges Brewing. The Waynesboro Theatre will host “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” at 7 p.m. on Friday. Actor and comedian Jim Tavare, who played Tom the Innkeeper in “Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban” movie, will be dropping by Rough Edges and the Waynesboro Theatre to say hello, sign autographs and helping with trivia. Saturday is when things get really magical, with everything from stories and pets to music, wands and paint.
What To Do On Borogon Alley
Borogon Alley opens from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and features more than 20 sellers of supplies and
delicacies fit for all wizards and witches. Borogon Alley will be held in Main Street Park, 25 E.
Main St., home of the weekly farmers market, which will be held Aug. 4 from 5 to 8:30 p.m. instead
of Saturday. Singer Grace Fala will be performing in Borogon Alley from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Plans to host a Yule Ball were dashed because of slow advance ticket sales. “Hopefully, we can bring it back next year,” Kohler said.
Other Saturday events include:
- The Hairy Pawter Pet Adoption Day Event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. behind Main Street Park
- The Wand and Dragon Egg Workshop from 10 a.m. to noon and 1-3 p.m. at Music Makers,
- 46 W. Main St. It’s organized and run by the Arts Alliance of Greater Waynesboro and costs $3 to $5.
- Wizards and Witches Storytime, 9, 11 and 1 at Alexander Hamilton Memorial Free Library.
- Potion Paint Parties with Professor Charles will be held at 10:30 and 1:30 in the downstairs ballroom at the American Legion, 63 E. Main St.
- Meet the Characters Book Giveaway from noon to 1 p.m. at the library is a popular event and features our friends from Fantastical Vanity and the cast of “Puffs” from Chambersburg Community Theatre.
- Magician Frank Culler brings his magical talents to the stage for a free performance at 2:30 p.m.
- The Costume Parade and Contest led by Professor Dumbledore starts at 3 at Main Street Park and ends at the Waynesboro Theatre, 75 W. Main St., in time for a showing of “The Prisoner of Azkaban” at 3:30 p.m.
- Tavare will be visiting the grounds and doing an exclusive Q&A about the movie and the HP experience after the movie.
- Keep looking up for our tall friends from Big Whimsy, who will be strolling the grounds for a second year.