In 1913 Mexican generals Álvaro Obregón and Pancho Villa traveled to Fort Bliss to meet with U.S. Army General John J. Pershing. They discussed US – Mexican relations over a few beers and the General’s Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball.
Stories of the General’s Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball spread far and wide but the recipe has been lost until now. In a recent discovery in a dusty old barn in Texas the recipe was found.
This easy to make cheesy delight will tickle the taste buds of everyone. With a creamy base, this cheese ball is loaded with crisp smokey bacon, spicy jalapenos, delicious olives & sharp cheddar cheese. Spread it on a cracker or chip for the perfect finger food.
Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball
- ½ lb. mild cheddar cheese grated
- 8 oz cream cheese soft
- ½ cup black olives chopped
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 sm onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 lg jalapenos chopped
- 2 tbsp jalapeno pepper juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine cheeses, olives, bacon, jalapenos, onion, garlic and pepper juice. Mix into a ball.
- Roll ball mixture in chopped pecans.
- Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
You can mix it up a bit during the holiday season by replacing the bacon with cranberries. The ideal blend of tart, spicy and sweet, is simply one of the most “complete” treats one can make.
When asked how Selena Quintanilla-Pérez liked the General’s Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball, she was heard to say: