MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team played five games in Myrtle Beach this week at the Ripken Experience, finishing with a 2-3 record. The Nittany Lions ended the Spring Break trip on a high note with a 5-2 victory over Henry Ford College.
Penn State Mont Alto 11, Penn State Schuylkill 0
- PSUMA put together its first shutout of the 2020 season with Cameron Lee (Warrenton, Va./Fauquier) going the distance. He scattered seven hits across 5.0 innings of work, while striking out two opponents for his first win of the season.
- Mont Alto got off to the fast start scoring a combined 10 runs across the first two innings, which knocked out Schuylkill starting pitcher Derrick Eberhart. They scored an insurance run in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa./Central Dauphin), Michael Scott (Accokeek, Md./Bishop McNamara) and Caleb Leggett (Williamsport, Md./Williamsport) each homered with Leggett connecting on a grand slam in the bottom of the first inning.
St. Clair Community College 15, Penn State Mont Alto 10
- St. Clair Community College made the most of four PSUMA fielding errors, scoring a total of 15 runs, eight of which were earned. The Skippers did most of their damage with big scoring second and fifth innings. St. Clair plated five runs in the second frame and seven more in the fifth.
- PSUMA tallied 11 hits in the loss including a pair of 2-for-3 afternoons from Michael Scott and Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa./Littlestown). Scott produced another home run finishing with a pair of RBIs while Topper had an RBI and double.
- Freshman third baseman Tyler Moreland (Spring Mills, W.Va./Spring Mills) connected on his first collegiate homer against the Skippers with the Nittany Lions combining for 11 hits in the loss.
- Five different pitchers saw time on the mound for Mont Alto will Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa./James Buchanan) credited with taking the loss. The sophomore started the game and gave up two earned runs while striking out two in 2.0 innings of work.
College of DuPage 18, Penn State Mont Alto 14
- Mont Alto got off to a flying start, scoring seven runs on five hits in the bottom of the first frame. Highlights within the inning included Jared Pine (Mercersburg, Pa./James Buchanan) ripping a leadoff homer as well as Hunter Reath (Mercersburg, Pa./James Buchanan) singling, which scored two more runs.
- DuPage took a 10-7 lead in the top of the third before PSUMA responded with two runs in the bottom of the inning. AJ Millar hit a bases clearing triple that scored Jared Pine.
- The Chaparrals scored eight combined runs in the next two innings, with Mont Alto mounting a seventh inning rally. PSUMA scored two in the final frame, but it was too little to late.
- Pine, Reath, Millar, Caleb Leggett, Michael Scott and Chayse Fisher each recorded an RBI or more in the loss.
Illinois Valley Community College 13, Penn State Mont Alto 3
- After the visitors plated the first run of the game, PSUMA scored a pair to take the 2-1 lead. Pine doubled to open the game and scored when Hunter Reath doubled him home.
- The Cavaliers responded with four runs an inning later and added to the advantage scoring six more in the fourth inning. They added a pair of insurance runs off reliever Cameron Lee for the 13-3 final.
- Mont Alto scored its only other run of the game in bottom of the third inning when Brady Topper was plated on a Michael Scott single.
Penn State Mont Alto 5, Henry Ford College 2
- Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa./Chambersburg Area) got the start on the mound and he spun an absolute gem in the complete game victory. The junior finished with 10 punchouts, while scattering two hits across seven innings.
- Mont Alto made it 2-0 after the first inning when both Hunter Reath and Brady Topper scored.
- Leading 2-1, Mont Alto added another run in the fourth inning before scoring two more in the sixth and seventh innings. Chayse Fisher finished 2-for-3 at the dish with a double and RBI.
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto