PSUMA Nittany Lions: Mont Alto freshman pitchers excel
A pair of Penn State Mont Alto freshman pitchers picked up their first collegiate victoriesMondayafternoon as they added two more wins to their team’s standings. The PSUMA Lions now stand at 9-1 overall and 7-1 in the PSUAC West Division.
Darian Mort(Fairfield, Pa. / Fairfield Area)tossed the first six innings of the first game scattering four hits and just two earned runs, he was relieved byHayden Kissel(Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area)who slammed the door shut in the top of the seventh inning to earn the save.Brady Bigler(Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan)got the ball in the second game where he gave up four runs in six innings of work.
Penn State Mont Alto 3, Penn State Fayette 2 (F)
- Mont Alto played fundamentally sound baseball and jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Kissel drove in Pine on a fielder’s choice and Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) sent a sacrifice fly to deep centerfield that scored McClure.
- Fayette made it 2-1 in the next half inning before tying it up at two runs a piece when Kade Musgrove hit an RBI single.
- PSUMA once again won the inning, Bigler reached first on a fielder’s choice that drove in what turned out to be the winning run.
Penn State Mont Alto 10, Penn State Fayette 4 (F)
- ShortstopJared Pine(Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan)was a menace collecting two-line drive doubles while finishing 3-for-4 with a game-high three RBIs. He also stole a pair of bases to add to his conference leading nine steals.
- Mont Alto broke the game open in the bottom of the first whenJarrett Goodyear(Newville, Pa. / Big Spring)doubled home a run. That was a followed up by an RBI single fromTyler Moreland(Spring Mills, W.Va. / Spring Mills).
- With Mont Alto leading 5-4 in the top of the sixth inning,Chance McClure(Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area)gunned down an advancing runner at home plate withJoseph Wunsch(Dover, Del. / Dover Area)applying the perfect tag for the final out of the inning. The Nittany Lions rallied for five runs of its own in the bottom half of the frame to pad its lead.
- Kaden Robinson(New Bloomfield, Pa. / West Perry)pitched the final inning in relief working his way out of trouble with a pop out to the first basemen to seal the Mont Alto victory.
Penn State Mont Alto will play in its first nine-inning contest of the seasontomorrowwhen they host PSU Beaver. Game time for the PSUAC matchup is slated for 3 p.m.