MONT ALTO, Pa. – Penn State Mont Alto men’s basketball team cruised to a 79-58 win in Tuesday’s PSUAC Quarterfinals matchup with PSU Beaver. With the win, Mont Alto hosts Penn State Wilkes-Barre, the No. 2 seed, in the East division Friday.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto relied on the inside and outside combination of JR Powe (Frederick, Md./Thomas Johnson) and Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa./Harrisburg). Powe finished with his third-straight double-double with a game-high 22 points and 11 rebounds. Flemister was equally productive chipping in 19 points, eight rebounds and three steals.
- PSUMA played suffocating defense in the first half holding PSU Beaver to just 15 points. The visitors shot 22.7% from the field within the half and finished the game shooting a 34.5% clip.
- Mont Alto also capitalized on Beaver’s miscues, while shooting 43.7% from the field and connected on 6-of-21 attempts from downtown.
- John Foster heated up in the second half for Beaver and finished with 21 points.
How it Happened
- Both teams came out of the gate playing with nerves, but Mont Alto established itself and built a 16-2 lead after a Nathan Osei (Frederick, Md./Frederick) layup. They continued the strong stretch of play by going up 31-7 after a Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa./Harrisburg) 3-pointer with 4:16 left in the half.
- The visitors finally showed signs of life closing the final minutes on an 8-4 run and went into the intermission trailing 35-15. Beaver scored the first four points of the second half, before another Flemister trey halted all momentum and had his team up 38-19.
- Mont Alto built a 32-point cushion at 62-30 with 11:37 left on a fast break layup courtesy of Nathan Osei (Frederick, Md./Frederick). PSUMA were in cruise control down the stretch and held on for the 79-58 win.
As the top seed in the PSUAC West, Mont Alto hosts the PSUAC Semifinals matchup against Wilkes-Barre at 8 p.m. Friday.
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto