PSUAC championships: Mont Alto won Monday games
The Penn State Mont Alto softball team won both of their games on Monday; and they will now play in the PSUAC Championship on Tuesday. The Nittany Lions walked it off against PSU New Kensington with a 2-1 win; and advanced to Tuesday with a thrilling 10-6 victory over PSU DuBois.
Penn State Mont Alto 2, Penn State New Kensington 1 (F)
- This was a nail biter throughout with the score remaining deadlocked at zero runs apiece to force the extra eighth inning of play. New Kensington plated a run in the top half of the frame; but in the bottom half of the inning a liner off the bat of Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa./McConnellsburg) scored a pair of runs for Mont Alto.
- This was Hall’s first collegiate walk-off as the freshman infielder finished 2-for-4.
- Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford) hit her spots exceptionally well and the lone run was unearned while she also struck out eight opponents.
Penn State Mont Alto 10, Penn State DuBois 6 (F)
- Mont Alto scored first in the bottom half of the first inning with a two-RBI single from Skye Herring (Pine Grove, Pa./Pine Grove Area). DuBois tied it up at 2-2 in the next half inning and went up 3-2 in the third inning.
- A tough at-bat was turned in by Karli Snyder (Leetown, W.Va./Jefferson) who walked with the bases loaded. Chloe Sullivan (Spring Grove, Pa./Spring Grove) cleared the bases with a two-RBI single to center field that made it 5-3.
- PSUMA continued to churn out runs offensively scoring another two runs in the bottom of the fourth frame on three-straight two-out hits.
- Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa./Biglerville) turned in a quality start in the pitching circle; earning the win for her team while scattering 12 hits and allowing four earned runs.
- The Nittany Lions put the game on ice adding three more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to go up 10-4.
- Chelsea Cover (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area), Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa./McConnellsburg) and Skye Herring (Pine Grove, Pa./Pine Grove Area) each had multi-hit games with Mont Alto totaling 12 hits a team.