Penn State Mont Alto baseball: Nittany Lions in first place in PSUAC
PSUMA’s Nittany Lions remain in first place within the PSUAC West with a 7-1 overall record and 5-1 mark within the conference after winning its third straight baseball contest Saturday with a pair of high scoring wins over PSU Fayette.
Penn State Mont Alto 11, Penn State Fayette 8 (F)
- Although the scoreline was close, Mont Alto cruised throughout thanks to a quality start on the mound from Matt Huston (McConnellsburg, Pa./McConnellsburg). The right hander tossed six innings while scattering six hits as he left the game with a 11-2 lead.
- Fayette had an early 2-0 lead before Mont Alto responded in the bottom half of the inning and tied it after back-to-back sacrifice flies. Mont Alto really broke the game open with a line drive single from Hayden Kissel (Chambersburg, Pa./Chambersburg Area) that drove in two runs in the fifth inning. He was later plated within the inning when Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa./Big Spring) doubled to left center field to give his team the 11-2 advantage.
- Shortstop Jared Pine (Mercersburg, Pa./James Buchanan) was a sparkplug atop the PSUMA lineup finishing 3-for-4 with a double and a RBI. He also was a menace on the basepaths with a pair of steals. Overall, Mont Alto stole nine bases in the win.
- After Fayette made a mini comeback scoring six runs in the seventh inning, Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa./Chambersburg Area) was summoned from the bullpen and earned his third save of the year.
Penn State Mont Alto 10, Penn State Fayette 7 (F)
- Mont Alto seized control of the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader batting around in a hour-long bottom half of the fourth inning that saw them score eight runs. Fayette made three pitching changes within the inning and a big blow to visitors was a Michael Scott (Accokeek, Md./Bishop McNamara) line drive single that drove in two runs.
- The eight run inning was enough to erase the early 2-0 deficit with Zach Garlin (Newville, Pa./Big Spring) picking up the win, which was his second of the season. The lefty tossed 4.1 innings while striking out seven and gave up five runs.
- Jared Pine (Mercersburg, Pa./James Buchanan) and Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa./Chambersburg Area) each went 2-for-4 at the dish with Pine driving in a pair of runs.
Mont Alto returns to action on Monday, March 29 when it once again hosts Penn State Fayette . Game times are slated for 2 and 4 p.m.