The Penn State Mont Alto women’s basketball team dropped a PSUAC conference game on Saturday to PSU Wilkes-Barre. Mont Alto lost by a 62-47 score and dropped to 8-13 overall and 5-11 within the conference.
Inside the Box Score
- Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa./Shippensburg) finished with another double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds.
- PSU Wilkes-Barre had a pair of double-digit scorers in Jessica Charles who netted 15 points and Qiana Vigo who finished with 11 points. Wilkes-Barre was the better shooting team hitting 42.3% from the field and 5-of-14 shots from 3-point range.
- PSUMA outrebounded Wilkes-Barre by a 39-28 margin.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto got off to a nice start with a 10-2 run in the first four minutes of play. The run was capped off by a Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa./Big Spring) who knocked down a jumper. Wilkes-Barre tightened up their defense and held the visitors to just one more made basket within the quarter and gained an 18-12 lead.
- Wilkes-Barre outscored Mont Alto 17-9 within the second quarter as their lead swelled to double digits. Jessica Charles scored eight points within the quarter as her team led 35-21.
- Grace Banfe (Greencastle, Pa./Shalom Christian Academy) knocked down a jumper to make it 35-26 and forced a Wilkes-Barre timeout. They tightened their defense out of the break and carried a 48-33 margin at the end of the third.
- Penn State Wilkes-Barre (12-8, 8-8 PSUAC) maintained its lead throughout the final quarter for the conference win.
Mont Alto travels to Valley Forge University on Wednesday, February 19. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto