By Frank Maira, Special to Franklin County Free Press
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team held an early lead in the second game of a doubleheader with The Apprentice School, but the Builders rallied for a pair of victories on Saturday.
The Builders won the first game 5-2 and scored the come from behind 5-3 win to drop PSUMA to 4-7 overall.
The Apprentice School 5, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- The Builders built an early 4-0 lead in the first inning and never looked back.
- Mont Alto only managed four hits off of the combination of Luke Schanback and Tyler Wingrad. The latter of which closed the game for a save.
- The Nittany Lions plated both of their runs in the top of the second inning. Joseph Wunsch (Dover, Del. / Dover Area) grounded into an RBI fielder’s choice and Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) poked an RBI single to left field.
- The Builders made it 5-2 when Gevin Nixon drew a bases load walk.
- Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) took the loss as he went six innings and was tagged for all five runs.
The Apprentice School 5, Penn State Mont Alto 3
- Mont Alto built an early 2-0 advantage in the top of the opening frame scoring a pair of unearned runs.
- Younker plated home Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) when he reached on an error.
- The other run within the inning was scored by Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) who came home on a Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) RBI single.
- Mont Alto made it 3-1 when Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) grounded into a fielder’s choice.
- The Apprentice School tied the game at three runs apiece in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- Maxwell Burcham scored on a fielders choice and Cody Hendrickson scored on a double steal to giving the Builders a 5 to 3 lead within the same inning.
- Neither team scored again as Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan)finished 2-for-3.
- Younker struck out five and gave up four earned runs on the bump.
Mont Alto (4-7) returns to action on Friday, March 15, when the team is slated to host St. Clair Community College for a doubleheader.
Game times are 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Frank Maira is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID, Penn State Mont Alto