PSUMA Baseball: Scorching offense produced series sweep
Mont Alto Baseball’s scorching offense produced a series sweep of Penn State Beaver Saturday, bringing the local team’s record to 19-2. Offense led byJarrett Goodyear(Newville, Pa. / Big Spring)and his two homers were two of the team’s twenty-nine hits scoringtwenty-one runs.
Penn State Mont Alto (13),Penn StateBeaver(2) (F-6 innings)
- Mont Alto wasted no time in the top of the first inning by stringing three consecutive RBI doubles fromChance McClure(Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area),Tyler Moreland(Spring Mills, W.Va. / Spring Mills),and Goodyearto bring the score to 4-0.
- Penn State Beaver showed signs of life in the fourth inning as Justin Francona homered to centerfield. This would be the only hiccup for pitcherDarian Mort(Fairfield, Pa. / Fairfield Area)as he stayed calm and collected to retire the side. Mort gave up only one earned run in four innings of work to earn the win.Ethan Slusser(Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic)came in relief in the fifth inning to end the game as he struck out two.
- SophomoreTyler Moreland(Spring Mills, W.Va. / Spring Mills)and freshmanCollin Beech(Lititz, Pa. / Warwick)had three RBI days with big hits in the six run fifth inning.
Penn State Mont Alto (9),Penn StateBeaver(6) (F)
- After a big win in the early half of the doubleheader, Mont Alto had more damage to do.Jarrett Goodyear(Newville, Pa. / Big Spring)set the tone as he crushed a two-run home run to right field to extend the lead to 3-0 in the top of the first. His next at-bat in the top of the third ended in similar fashion; a solo home run to centerfield.
- Mont Alto’s pitching staff held up Beaver’s efforts asBrady Bigler(Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan)threw four innings scattering six hits before he was relieved by eventual winning pitcherKaden Robinson(New Bloomfield, Pa. / West Perry).Heading into the sixth inning with a 9-6 lead,Chance McClure(Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area)pitched two shutout innings earning his third save of the year.
- Reigning USCAA Player of the WeekHayden Kissel(Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area)went 3-for-5 with four RBIs to boast a .361 batting average.
PSUMAplays a crucial PSUAC West conference game against Penn State DuBoisonTuesday, April20at home starting at 3 p.m.
Matthew Gelhard is an Student Assistant in Penn State Mont Alto’s Athletics Communications department. He is a sophomore from Mount Airy, Md. and a graduate of Linganore High School. He is majoring in communications at the college.