The Shippensburg Bands are ready to ring in the season with holiday music! Join the bands for a variety of performances in December.
Shippensburg Band schedule:
- Sunday, December 5 at 2 p.m., Big Spring United Lutheran Church, 101 Crossroad School Rd, Newville
- Tuesday, December 14 at 7 p.m., Shippensburg Church of the Brethren, 253 E. Garfield St,
Shippensburg Swing Band schedule:
- Sunday, December 12 at 6 p.m., Big Spring United Lutheran Church, 101 Crossroad School Rd, Newville
German Band schedule:
- Saturday, December 11 at 3 and 5 p.m., Mifflinburg Christkindlmarkt, www.oldchristkindl.com
- Saturday, December 18 at 1 p.m., Winter Wonderland Christmas Market, Carlisle Expo Center
- Sunday, December 19 at 1 p.m., Winter Wonderland Christmas Market, Carlisle Expo Center
The Shippensburg Bands are community groups that have gathered many individuals from Shippensburg and its surrounding area to make music and share it with others.
The bands are dynamic groups of young and old from all walks of life, some with degrees in music and/or music education, but most participants are amateurs.
They rehearse on Tuesday nights in Shippensburg. The organization invites anyone who plays a band instrument to come to a rehearsal and join in the fun.
Carl Sponenberg directs the Shippensburg Band. The December concerts feature a holiday theme, but the Band’s library a variety of pieces. These include marches, classical transcriptions, patriotic tunes, Broadway show tunes, folk music, contemporary works, light opera and hits from the big band era. The concerts are popular, often due to the patriotic appeal of the music and performance, and the variety of styles that are presented.
Since 1922, the Shippensburg Band has been a not-for-profit, all volunteer organization benefiting the Borough of Shippensburg and its neighboring communities. Fans can watch the band perform at more than 25 events each year,
Keep live music alive in Shippensburg! More information is available at the band’s website.