BUENA VISTA, Va. – Penn State Mont Alto’s baseball team fell 7-0 in the first game before their bats came alive in the second game Saturday. Southern Virginia still earned the sweep with the 9-5 win in the doubleheader. With the losses, the Nittany Lions fall to 0-4 on Saturday.
Southern Virginia 7, Penn State Mont Alto 0
- The Knights were able to build a 6-0 lead scoring six off of freshman Tyler Moreland (Spring Mills, W.Va./Spring Mills) who wasn’t able to settle in with five walks in two innings.
- With an early 2-0 lead, Mitch Tyse hit a 2-run homer to center field within the first inning. Southern Virginia ended the second frame up 6-0.
- The Knights scored the final run in the bottom of the fourth when Tyse singled home teammate Cannon Anderson.
- PSUMA finished with three hits, which were all singles.
Southern Virginia 9, Penn State Mont Alto 5
- The Knights plated a run in the bottom of the first and four more in the third inning to build a 5-0 lead. All of the runs were charged to Matt Huston (McConnellsburg, Pa./McConnellsburg). The Nittany Lions bats woke up in the bottom of the fourth inning when Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa./James Buchanan) sent a two-run shot over the right field fence.
- The Knights responded with two more runs in the bottom of the frame. PSUMA stayed hot with Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa./Chambersburg Area) ripping an RBI single in the top of the fifth. They added another run with when Caleb Leggett (Williamsport, Md./Williamsport) crossed home plate on an RBI off the bat of Owen McCleaf (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) that made it 8-4.
- The Knights plated a run in the bottom of the sixth to make it 9-4, but Leggett doubled home Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa./Littlestown) in what turned out to be the final run scored of the game.
Penn State Mont Alto will be idle before beginning their Mar. 6 Spring Break trip with a doubleheader with Mid-Christian Atlantic.
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto