MERCERSBURG – An investigation into the death of Gregory Alan Cole, 51, is ongoing, according to Pennsylvania State Police.
The recovery of the Montgomery Township man’s body from a large pond along Knob Road this morning culminated a massive three-day search by a large variety of search and rescue experts involving 34 agencies with a total of 111 individuals.
Cole was first reported missing Sunday afternoon after he disappeared from a boat on the lake.
The disappearance triggered a water rescue attempt that evening.
When he hadn’t been found by Monday morning, Pennsylvania State Police joined the search and a state trooper took over media communications in the case.
The search concentrated in and around the 10,000 block of Knob Rd. in Montgomery Township.
From the beginning, multiple agencies from various regions and states came together in a coordinated search effort to locate Cole.
This morning at approximately 8:40 a.m., Cole’s body was recovered from a pond along where he disappeared.
State Police said an autopsy is pending and the investigation into his death is ongoing.
Twenty four agencies assisted in the search and rescue, as well as the recovery efforts, of Cole.
These Agencies Include:
- Franklin County Coroner’s Office
- Maryland Department of Corrections
- PA State Police Aviation, K9, Marine, and Tactical Mounted Units
- Franklin County Department of Emergency Services
- Civil Air Patrol
- PA Fish and Boat Commission
- Maryland State Police – Dive Team
- Baltimore City Fire Department – Dive Team
- Delaware State Police – Dive Team
- Huntingdon County Water Rescue
- South Central PA Search and Rescue
- Maryland Department of Corrections – Critical Response Team
- New Cumberland Borough River Rescue
- Harrisburg City Fire Department – Dive Team
- PA S.E.R.T. – Cadaver Dogs
- M.M.P.W. Fire, Ambulance, and Fire Police
- Mercersburg Fire Department, EMS, and Fire Police
- Greencastle Police Department, Fire Department, and Fire Police
- Saint Thomas Fire Company
- Washington County, MD Special Operations – Dive Team
- Chambersburg Police Department – Canine
- Chambersburg Fire Department
- Green Township and Dave’s Truck Repair – Exterior Lighting Provided
- Marklesburg Volunteer Fire Company – Dive Team
- Members of the public and all other volunteers who assisted in the search efforts.