The “sweetest night of the year” returns this year as Mainstreet Waynesboro plays host to the Chocolate Extravaganza on March 7 at the Waynesboro Country Club, 11000 Country Club Road.
The Chocolate Extravaganza, now in its 14th year, Offers a dinner option third year in a row. The four-course, chocolate-themed dinner begins at 5 p.m. It will be followed by a Chocolate Extravaganza filled with chocolate desserts from 7 to 9 p.m.
The event raises money for Mainstreet Waynesboro while showcasing the community’s downtown chocolate stores and other restaurants.
Mainstreet Waynesboro is an independent nonprofit depending solely on donations and money made through events and fundraisers.
Waynesboro Country Club Chef Jeffrey Raimo created the menu for the four-course dinner. Everything on the menu will have a chocolate element, even the main dish — pepper-crusted beef tenderloin with a chocolate port sauce.
Each table of eight will also have a carafe of House Red wine.
The Chocolate Extravaganza
Ten chocolate purveyors will have their chocolate delicacies set up at the event from 7 to 9 p.m.
The confirmed list includes:
- Antojitos Mexicanos,
- Bonnie Butter Bakes at Happy Heart Farm,
- Christine’s Café,
- Despina Leos Candy Kitchen,
- Krystal’s Cakes and Confections,
- Rough Edges Brewing,
- Sweet Layali’s Treats,
- Waynesboro Country Club,
- The Waynesburger and
- Zoe’s Chocolates.
Live music featuring Three Professors of Jazz is on the entertainment tab. Howard, Jordan and Anita will play favorite jazz standards, along with a few surprises.
Tickets for the dinner and the Chocolate Extravaganza cost $75 per person or $125 per couple.
Tickets for the Chocolate Extravaganza portion cost $25 per person.
Each guest will receive a complimentary champagne glass and tickets for two free glasses of champagne. A cash bar will be available.
Tickets can be purchased on Mainstreet Waynesboro’s website, www.mainstreetwaynesboro.org, or at Mainstreet Waynesboro, 13 W. Main St., or inside of M&T Bank on the square, where you can pay via check or credit card.
Tickets are also available at The Candy Kitchen, Christine’s Café, Waynesboro Country Club and Zoe’s Chocolate Co. Those locations accept only checks or cash for the tickets, however.
Silent Auction and Raffle
There will be a silent auction and silent raffle. Items include:
- A Dell – Inspiron laptop from Clark Computer Services; a framed print, “Randy the Rooster,” donated by local artist, Holly Wheeler;
- A golf package for four with a cart, a complimentary beverage for each person and four appetizers donated by the Waynesboro Country Club;
- A gift certificate to Sapporo with a bottle of Saki and two Saki cups,
- A date night gift basket filled with goodies from Christine’s Café, Zoe’s Chocolate, a one night stay at Cobblestone Hotel, a bottle of wine, and a few other things; a basket with two Beer, Wine & Cider Fest tickets,
- A $25.00 gift card and a six pack of craft beer donated by The Beer Shed and lots more.
Door prizes include six flower arrangements by Eichholz Flowers, as well as gift cards to various places.
At this time, sponsors of the festival are:
- Alma Oyer (“Truffle”),
- Craig, Friedly, Potter & Moore and Greg and Debi Duffey (“Dark Chocolate”),
- WACCO Properties (“Milk Chocolate”),
- Eunice Statler and Daniel Arthur (“White Chocolate”), and
- Mayor Richard Starliper (“Cocoa”).
In-kind donations were provided by Waynesboro’s Martin’s Food Market, the Waynesboro Country Club, and Beaver’s Auto Body and Collision.
Events Bring Community Together
Bill Kohler, Mainstreet’s director of economic development stressed the importance of events such as the extravaganza.
“The Chocolate Extravaganza helps us raise funds while ensuring that we can continue our mission of attracting people to downtown well into the future,” he said.
Angela Smith, event coordinator/administrative assistant for Mainstreet Waynesboro, points to the importance of such events to the community.
“Mainstreet Waynesboro has been organizing annual community events for years, “ she said. “We are incredibly pleased that we can offer a variety of events all year long to showcase all that Waynesboro has to offer.”
Additional sponsorships are welcomed. Anyone interested in supporting the project can call 717-762-0397 or send an e-mail to [email protected].