First set of two doubleheaders: Mont Alto rolled over Beaver
Mont Alto rolled over Penn State Beaver last Friday in a doubleheader conference game. It was the first of two sets of doubleheaders for the two teams over the weekend. Mont Alto’s scorching offense swept both.
Penn State Beaver (2) Penn State Mont Alto (12), (F – 5 innings)
- Alberto Fabian (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic / KCAPA) got the party started with a single to centerfield to score Brady Bigler (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan). That put the score at 1-0.
- After Fabian scored, Pine’s inside the park home run made the score 4-0. Mont Alto continued to hit as Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) singled and Tyler Moreland (Spring Mills, W.Va. / Spring Mills) slapped an RBI double to bring the score to 6-0.
- Penn State Beaver showed signs of life with a single by Justin Francona. A sacrifice fly by Jacob Beck closed the gap to 6-2 in the top of the fifth inning.
- Mont Alto struck again and never looked back, scoring six runs in the bottom half of the 5th inning to initiate the mercy rule. The rally included a double by Pine that put his RBI total to 4 for the game.
- Matt Huston (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg) tossed five innings giving up two earned runs on eight hits with five strikeouts.
Penn State Beaver (1) Penn State Mont Alto (7), (F)
- Zach Garlin (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) worked his full arsenal of pitches to hold Penn State Beaver to one run on three hits in six innings of work. Hayden Kissel (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) picked up right where he left off on the mound, closing the final inning up with two strikeouts to improve the Mont Alto Nittany Lions to 17-2
- Penn State Beaver jumped to an early 1-0 lead with a line drive single to left field by Jacob Beck in the top of the first inning. Two innings later, Mont Alto tied the game with a runner scoring on a passed ball in the bottom of the third.
- The game was a rubber match between Garlin and Beck, but Mont Alto broke the tie in the bottom of the fifth inning with Jared Pine scoring on a wild pitch followed by a sacrifice fly by Moreland to make the score 3-1
- Mont Alto put the exclamation point on the lead in the sixth inning with a pair of 2 RBI hits by Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) and Jarrett Goodyear (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) for the final score of 7-1.
Matthew Gelhard is an Student Assistant in Penn State Mont Alto’s Athletics Communications department. He is a sophomore from Mount Airy, Md. and a graduate of Linganore High School. He is majoring in communications at the college.